As an experienced residential lettings agency in Brighton and Hove, Clarity Property Management is very pleased to offer the following guidelines to landlords. Whilst we hope you find this list useful, it’s more a must-do rather than a standard Things to Do. However:
Clarity can organise the following tasks and checks on your behalf.
To remain legally compliant, there’s a lot to do, as you can see:
Absolute Property Essentials
- A Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate, gained by an inspection prior to the tenant’s occupancy. This meets the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations Act, 1994, amended 1996. We also advise you have annual service on the boiler, to be on the safe side.
- From 1st June 2020 you must ensure that electrical inspections and testing are carried out every five years. Also, you must ensure that all electrical installations and appliances are checked before the tenant moves in.
- You must install and maintain smoke and carbon Monoxide detectors before the start of the tenancy.
- If the property is unfurnished, you must still supply:
- Light fittings
- Any white goods that are left
- If the property is furnished, all upholstered furniture must meet the strict regulations set out in The Furniture and Fittings (fire safety) Regulations 1989, amended 1993).
- You’ll need to give your tenant the How to Rent checklist, although this can also be emailed.
- Lastly, you must protect your tenant’s deposit through the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. We can take care of this, so contact us to find out more.
There will need to be a working telephone landline at the property.
We’ll organise an inventory to be done by a third party.
You’ll need to supply (no. of) sets of keys for the property. One is for us and ?? will be for the tenant.
Don’t forget to re-direct mail to your new address.